Internet and E-mail
Definition of Terms used in Internet
By the end of the lesson you should be able to:
State and explain the meaning of various internet terminologies:
Define the following terms used in the Internet
- Internet - refers to a global interconnection of computer networks for communication and resource sharing.
- World Wide Web - refers to a virtual network of websites connected by hyperlinks.
- HTML - This is a markup language used to create web pages
- What is HTML in full? - Hypertext Markup Language
- Website - a collection of web pages that are linked together by hyperlinks
- Web Browser - refers to application software that is used to view webpages stored on the web servers by typing web address/ URL on its address bar.
- HTTP - refers to the protocol used by a web browser to request and receive web pages from the web servers
- What is HTTP in full? - refers Hypertext Transfer Protocol
- Blog - refers to a special type of web sites containing information that can be edited and updated regularly by users
- Web Portal: refers to the websites dedicated to performing specialized services e.g student portal of a university website
- Network Interface Card - a piece of hardware that allows computers connected to a network to communicate